Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Broken Clavicle Post-Op 4 Week Update 041311

After 4 weeks from my surgery my shoulder is feeling really good exceptionally good. As you can see from the pics below my left collarbone looks a little wonky. I think this is from the appearance of the plate on top of the bone. There is a light pinkish scar where the incision was made but hardly noticeable at this stage.

The great news is that my Doctor says I am very fortunate to be in the top 1% of surgical clavicle cases in terms of the recovery, surgery, healing, etc... I still do my rehab exercises daily and during my daily walks down to Trestles I take a ball to stretch my shoulder. In addition I have been using cold/heat pads at least 3 times a day for at least 20 minutes. I regularly massage the scar to break up scar tissue and to increase blood flow/circulation to the area. I would say I have about 95% mobility/flexibility with about .5 pain on a scale from 1-10. There is some residual soreness in my shoulder which the Doctor said is from the plate in my rotator cuff irritating the surrounding muscles. I am hopeful that my body will adapt until the plate is removed in 2 months and for all soreness to be gone so I can really focus on strength and flexibility.

This week I plan on hitting the water either swimming and/or surfing. I can do at least 20 full push-ups and mimic paddling fine and feel with a few more days hopefully only stiffness will remain.








No comments: